From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-29 09:58:37

"Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
> > I attempted to build bcp with Jam V2 and como under Win2k with the
latest
> > CVS source and the latest bjam.exe. My como installation is in
> > H:\Utilities\Comeau directory and is already set up to use a back end
> > compiler. I executed:
> >
> > bjam --v2 -sCOMO_PATH=H:\Utilities\Comeau -sTOOLS=como
>
> Wait a minute! Do you have Comeau toolset for V2? I'm asking because I'm
not
> aware that it exists

Comeau compiler ? Of course it exists. What do you mean by Comeau toolset
for V2 ? Do you mean that bjam V2 does not support the toolsets that bjam V1
supports ? If this is the case, certainly it should be documented.

>, and besides, the "-s" syntax is not used for any V2
> toolset, and also "-sTOOLS" syntax is also not used for Boost.Build V2.

I had not realized that at all. I never dreamed that the bjam V2 command
line syntax was incompatible with bjam V1. I am surmising now that one is
really not supposed to be using bjam V2 at all yet, or that the
documentation for using bjam V2 is incomplete. I naturally assumed that bjam
V2 was usable, given the Jamfile.V2 files for each Jamfile.

> So, it seems like you are trying to use Boost.Build V2 just like V1.

Yes, exactly.

> For
> example, if Comeau toolset for V2 is written, one would put
>
> using comeau : : H:\Utilities\Comeau ;
>
> into user-config.jam and then run
>
> bjam --v2 comeau

OK, evidently the way to use bjam V2, from the user's point of view, is
different from bjam V1. I naively assumed that bjam V2 would support the
same command line syntax as bjam V1 in ordser to be backward compatible. I
have now looked at Boost.Build V2 User Manual. It appears much more
complicated to use than V1 but I will follow the suggestion above and see if
I can build it correctly. Thanks for the info !

> > from the boost\tools\bcp directory and received this output indicating
an
> > error:
> >
> > "H:/Programming/Version
> > Control/CVS/Home/boost/tools/build/v2/util\order.jam:38:in loaderror: no
> > native rule "add-pair" defined in module "class_at_order."
>
> Try updating your bjam and rebuilding it.

I have the latest bjam executable for Windows from sourceforge. Does this
not support V2 ?