From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-30 12:57:21

"Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote...
>> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> > I attempted to build bcp with Jam V2 and como under Win2k with the latest
>> > CVS source and the latest bjam.exe. My como installation is in
>> > H:\Utilities\Comeau directory and is already set up to use a back end
>> > compiler. I executed:
>> >
>> > bjam --v2 -sCOMO_PATH=H:\Utilities\Comeau -sTOOLS=como
>>
>> Wait a minute! Do you have Comeau toolset for V2? I'm asking because I'm not
>> aware that it exists
>
> Comeau compiler ?

No, a "comeau toolset" file.

> Of course it exists. What do you mean by Comeau toolset for V2 ?

A file which interfaces Boost.Build with the Comeau compiler.

> Do you mean that bjam V2 does not support the toolsets that bjam V1
> supports ?

There's no bjam v2, only Boost.Build v2, but yeah, BBv2 doesn't
support all the same toolsets as v1 yet.

> If this is the case, certainly it should be documented.

You seem to overlook the fact that BBv2 is pre-release software. It
isn't reasonable to expect it to have complete documentation or
support for everything in v1 yet. We're going to get it to support
the same toolsets as v1 does before it is released.

>>, and besides, the "-s" syntax is not used for any V2
>> toolset, and also "-sTOOLS" syntax is also not used for Boost.Build V2.
>
> I had not realized that at all. I never dreamed that the bjam V2
> command line syntax was incompatible with bjam V1.

That's one way to put it. It's a big improvement, and also a fairly
big change.

> I am surmising now that one is really not supposed to be using bjam
> V2 at all yet, or that the documentation for using bjam V2 is
> incomplete. I naturally assumed that bjam V2 was usable, given the
> Jamfile.V2 files for each Jamfile.

I guess natural assumptions aren't always safe assumptions ;->

>> So, it seems like you are trying to use Boost.Build V2 just like V1.
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
>> For
>> example, if Comeau toolset for V2 is written, one would put
>>
>> using comeau : : H:\Utilities\Comeau ;
>>
>> into user-config.jam and then run
>>
>> bjam --v2 comeau
>
> OK, evidently the way to use bjam V2, from the user's point of view, is
> different from bjam V1. I naively assumed that bjam V2 would support the
> same command line syntax as bjam V1 in ordser to be backward compatible. I
> have now looked at Boost.Build V2 User Manual. It appears much more
> complicated to use than V1 but I will follow the suggestion above and see if
> I can build it correctly. Thanks for the info !

It won't work until we have the v2 Comeau toolset. Maybe you should
try BBv1 if you want BBv1 command-line compatibility ;-)

>> > from the boost\tools\bcp directory and received this output indicating an
>> > error:
>> >
>> > "H:/Programming/Version
>> > Control/CVS/Home/boost/tools/build/v2/util\order.jam:38:in loaderror: no
>> > native rule "add-pair" defined in module "class_at_order."
>>
>> Try updating your bjam and rebuilding it.
>
> I have the latest bjam executable for Windows from sourceforge. Does this
> not support V2 ?

BBv2 from CVS may use features not in any released bjam executable.
The solution is to rebuild bjam.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting