From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-05 20:22:18

Mat Marcus wrote:

> --On Monday, April 05, 2004 11:54 PM +0100 Andy Little
> <andy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> "Brian McNamara" <lorgon_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>
>>> I will be busy trying to finish my PhD and find a job in the next
>>> couple months, so it will be a while before I can work on FC++ again
>>> with any substantial effort.
>>

>> Hi Brian,
>> I think I may be one of those mentioned in the review critique as
>> having required a full breakdown of FP.
>> I would suggest that C++ is not the solution for you, but OTOH
>> neither is the dogma of FP. Whether anyone has the guts to employ
>> you I have no idea, but I wish you all the best for the future.
>>
>> regards
>> Andy Little
>>

> Hi Andy,
>
> I don't really like the way that came out. I believe that quotes like
> "C++ is not the solution for you" or "Whether anyone has the guts to
> employ you" don't belong on this list. For what it's worth let me state
> here that these comments in no way reflect the opinions of the reviewer,
> nor in my opinion do they reflect the views of the rest of the
> community. I have found Brian's work to be very inspirational, if not
> yet ready for boost acceptance on the first try, and his posts here are
> highly professional, patient (in light of those who would have him
> justify FP) and educational. I respectfully ask you to refrain from
> posts of this nature in the future as others on this list may also feel
> that they are rather offensive.

Andy, aren't you using STL? If so, then you are already doing FP!
I second Mat. Boost is supposed to be a place for new ideas, new
way of doing things. I still believe that FC++ has its place in
boost. Perhaps not now, but in the future. I believe that there
is no need to justify FP. It's here with us whether you like it
or not. It's here in the form of STL algorithms and functors. It's
here in the form of MPL metafunctions. It's here in the form of
boost::bind. It's here in the form of Spirit parsers. It's everywhere.
Why fight it? Perhaps you mean a different "dogma of FP"?

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com