From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-28 08:34:38

> On the regression tests I'm seeing lots of warnings from gcc 3.4. For
example:

[snipped]

> Lots of other libraries are seeing similar warnings with gcc 3.4.
>
> Date-time does nothing with threads so I believe based that I should just
set
> define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS for the test cases to resolve this. But
since
> I'm not certain of all the implications of this I thought I'd as for
advice
> before proceeding. One specific question that comes to mind is do I need
> limit the scope to gcc so I don't break MT, dll mode on Windows?

Darn, that would be me (again).

We have a problem with gcc: thread support gets forced on in order to be
consistent with libstdc++ (long story), and there was a user-request for a
helpful message so that users would know that they *may* end up
needing -lpthread.

I agree that the message is a pain though, and Vladimir's point about
warnings-as-errors is a good one.

BTW I don't think that Jeff or anyone else should be required to mess with
their Jamfiles to fix this; it's not their problem, it's a config/build one.

My gut feeling is to just take the warning out for this release, longer
term: Vladimir is there any macro that gets defined by the bjam build
process, something like BOOST_BJAM_BUILD, so the code knows when it's being
built by the bjam test system? Any other helpful suggestions welcomed....

John.