From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-20 05:24:50

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:14:55 -0400, David Abrahams wrote
>> "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> > Don't disagree, but there needs to be limits on the amount of time we spend on
>> > it. To me, if some big company really insists on getting every single file in
>> > boost 100% consistent then they should pay someone to get it consistent --
>> > perhaps you ;-)
>>
>> I don't see how putting those 4-5 lines at the bottom of example
>> files is going to save us any time. In my case it's going to cost me
>> time because my editor automatically generates them at the top and
>> puts my cursor below them ;-)
>
> So, truth be told, I wrote a script, made the change, and checked it in before
> we started this discussion -- so that's part of why I'm being difficult. I'm
> not dealing with any new code in this case. And I think cntl-home will put you
> at the top so you can insert above the generated text -- 1/4 of a second maybe ;-)

I think you should undo it and spend the time instead to make the doc
generator strip out copyrights (which needs to be done anyway). Every
new way that people decide to "get creative" with licensing, including
placement, weakens the whole project of trying to establish a uniform
license. Other projects have no problems using a strictly uniform
licensing convention; this doesn't seem like a place we have to
express our "cussed individualism".

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting