From: Bo Persson (bop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 05:57:29

"Mathew Robertson" <mathew.robertson_at_[hidden]> skrev i meddelandet
> > > My experience, mostly from reading the documentation, is that
there are no
> > > GOOD cross-platform C++ GUI libraries out there.
> >
> > I agree. You point out two major failing of most C++ frameworks:
lack of modern
> > C++ use and lack of exception safety. I see the rest of this thread
talking a
> > lot about C++ techniques, but there seems to be one major component
that
> > everyone is overlooking: producing a good user experience.
> >
> > Perhaps as a Mac developer I am more aware to the importance of a
good user
> > experience; one of the major failings of every cross-platform C++
framework on
> > Mac OS is a poor user experience -- usually due to reinventing
OS-provided UI
> > wheels, and thus often making the UI subtly inconsistent with the
rest of the
> > OS. This kind of subtle (or less subtle) inconsistency is what makes
users
> > (entirely justifiably) bitch and moan and shoddy ports, and give bad
product
> > reviews.
>
> umm... which part of "cross-platform" and "use native functionality"
is more important?

For the developer or for the users of the application?

As a user, there is no advantage of "looks equaly crappy on Windows,
Linux, and OS X". If I use the application in my environment, it should
look native.

> If you have some functionality provided by one OS, while another
doesn't provide it... what do you do?

You have to either emulate it, map it to similar functionality, or not
provide it at all. Probably a little of each!

Bo Persson