From: Mathew Robertson (mathew.robertson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 18:15:41

> > umm... which part of "cross-platform" and "use native functionality"
> is more important?
>
> For the developer or for the users of the application?
>
> As a user, there is no advantage of "looks equaly crappy on Windows,
> Linux, and OS X". If I use the application in my environment, it should
> look native.

Both.

As a developer of a program which is meant to be cross platform - I need to rely on the fact that when I call a function/method/etc, that is works as advertised, without the need for #ifdef's

As a user, If I am using OSX, then I want alpha blended goodness, etc.

> > If you have some functionality provided by one OS, while another
> doesn't provide it... what do you do?
>
> You have to either emulate it, map it to similar functionality, or not
> provide it at all. Probably a little of each!

yep - so what would be suitable for Boost?

Mathew