From: Mathew Robertson (mathew.robertson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 18:26:16

> > Getting back to what was origonally said - if one platform
> > implements something that another platform doesn't, how can a
> > cross platform library not re-invent the the wheel for that
> > crummy platform?
>
> That's not reinventing the wheel for that "crummy platform," it's
> implementing it. What's reinvention is ignoring the existing
> implementation on the other platforms.

I do agree mostly, except that Boost is meant to be cross-platform, which means shipping the Boost source code with the platform abstraction layer.

And shipping the resultant library to conatin that code as well - think win32 running on win98 vs win32 running on win2k. There would need to be runtime detection of the available functionaly (for only some functions - but the problem does exist).

ASIDE:

So far during this thread, it may appear that I am saying dont bother... which is crap. It has been mentioned that there is no cross-platform GUI library. All I have tried to do is point out that there are other corss-platform libraries - and they are working hard at solving these vcry problems. Quite a few of them are open source, as such they tend to want to fix design flaws. The point being that they solved most of the problems discussed so far, yet they are still "not excellent" wrt. each point mentioned.

Mathew