From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-26 00:49:29

In article <08b601c48afa$eb621fb0$a901000a_at_mat>,
 "Mathew Robertson" <mathew.robertson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> So far during this thread, it may appear that I am saying dont bother...
> which is crap. It has been mentioned that there is no cross-platform GUI
> library. All I have tried to do is point out that there are other
> corss-platform libraries - and they are working hard at solving these vcry
> problems. Quite a few of them are open source, as such they tend to want to
> fix design flaws. The point being that they solved most of the problems
> discussed so far, yet they are still "not excellent" wrt. each point
> mentioned.

Every major C++ cross-platform library I am aware of has major issues wrt
backwards compatibility and legacy C++ code (e.g., poor STL integration, poor
user of namespaces, poor use of exceptions) even if you ignore the question of
how well its user experience fares on non-Windows platforms. I don't know how
hard they are working on it, but I have been waiting for years and I don't know
of a single one that's adequate yet -- most of them are not even good enough as
a starting point for what I would consider adequate.

Also, I don't think that sprinkling open source pixie dust on them magically
imbues them with special extraordinary ability or desire to fix design flaws :-)

meeroh