From: tom brinkman (reportbase_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-31 04:48:46

David Abrahams wrote:

> Thomas Wenisch <twenisch_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, tom brinkman wrote:
>>
>>> If there are no objections, starting with the "More IO" library, I will
>>> attach an ID number to each reviewed library. Please reference this ID
>>> number in any postings to the group. This will help in organizing the
>>> reviews and assist in searching for related postings.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>

>>> The following libraries still require review manager volunteers:
>>> 10006 - Named Parms
>>> 10007 - Policy Pointer
>>> 10008 - Wave
>>> 10009 - Finite State Machine (FSM)
>>> 10010 - Fixed Strings
>>>

>> It may not be worth renumbering things at this point, but I would suggest
>> that you prefix library IDs with the current year rather than an
>> arbitrary
>> large number. In otherwords More IO would be 2004-01.
>
> What is the point of these IDs? It seems like it adds busywork for
> reviewers and no especially useful information. Now we're talking
> about making them more complicated...

Three Reasons:

1) As Review Wizard, I feel that assigning a unique identification number
to each reviewed library will help me stay organized.

2) Helps in searching for related posts.

3) As library authors are regularly changing the names of their libraries,
this will help manage the historical record of the review process.