From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-31 17:32:39

"Carlo Wood" <carlo_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 12:45:30PM -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
> > pubsync is called, the contents of the buffer will be sent to the first
filter
> > in the chain, like so (assuming it's a 'buffered filter'):
> >
> > filter_.write(buf, buf + n);
> [...]
> > Yes, for the time being. If your ideas can eliminate copying further, I'd be
> > glad to try to incorporate them. (But I haven't looked at your library yet.)
>
> My idea then would involve the introduction of a 'message' object,

I was hoping to avoid that. At most, I'd want to introduce a category of
'message-aware' filters. In cases where copying is a performance bottleneck, you
would make sure that all your filters are message-aware.

I definitely wan't to keep the simpler interface as an option -- preferably the
default option.

> something that abstracts a contiguous piece of data with a finite
> size that can be processed as a unit. For example, one line of
> text in the case of text filters - or one packet of data when
> processing a UDP stream - or one binary packet that starts with
> an envelope/header followed by a payload etc.

<snip details>

I'm planning to look at your code tonight. Could you take a quick glance at some
of these links about the Apache filtering API and let me know if its similar to
what you're talking about?

1. Filtering I/O in Apache 2.0, by Ryan Bloom, http://tinyurl.com/6p5r5
2. Other stuff on Apache filtering by Ryan Bloom, http://tinyurl.com/646os
3. Slide show about Apache Filtering, http://tinyurl.com/5a6b4