From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-29 17:42:26

Eric Niebler wrote:

> Joel de Guzman and I, with the help of many smart folks on the
> boost-docs list[*], have been working on improving the look-n-feel of
> Boost's documentation. We're ready to commit the new style, but wanted
> to check here first.
> [...]

I think it looks great! Good work, guys. I agree with Dave that code
should be indented for better readability. I'm ambivalent about colors,
but I like blue, so I don't have a problem with the colors chosen. I
also like the idea of collecting all the documentation into one large
hyperdocument. It makes Boost look more like a serious collection of
libraries rather than a hodgepodge thrown together. Making all the
docs look consistent goes a long way towards that. I also agree with
Thorsten that it would be nice to get an automagic syntax highlighter
in the toolchain that preprocessed code blocks to produce some nice
color-highlighted html. It would be really nice if it emitted code
on a fairly fine-grained scale (lots of syntactic elements) so that
there is plenty of flexibility for writing custom css configs for your
favorite syntax-highlighting setup (that way, ambitious people could
view the code in the docs in the same scheme that, say, their IDE
uses). Of course, I have no idea how much work that would be, and I'm
not exactly in a position to volunteer the time right now, but it seems
to me that Wave must already have some of the capability, given that it
knows enough C++ to do preprocessing.

The question is, what do library authors have to do to write docs in
this new format?

Dave