From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-29 18:06:36

David B. Held wrote:

> I think it looks great! Good work, guys.

Thanks!

> I agree with Dave that code
> should be indented for better readability.

OK. I'll work on that, and I'll fix the other problems people here have
noticed, too.

  I also agree with
> Thorsten that it would be nice to get an automagic syntax highlighter
> in the toolchain that preprocessed code blocks to produce some nice
> color-highlighted html.

A clarification: all we're talking about at this point is changing the
style-sheet (boostbook.css) that the HTML documentation uses. We're not
changing any existing HTML to mark up code blocks with
syntax-highlighting. But keep reading ...

> The question is, what do library authors have to do to write docs in
> this new format?

Nothing, since this is not a new format. It's just a new style-sheet
applied to the existing HTML. Once we check the new CSS in, the docs
will automatically pick up this new style.

Aside:
You and Thorsten will be interested in a tool that Joel and I have been
working on. It's a authoring tool for BoostBook, and it will
automatically syntax-highlight code sections. Look for an announcement
here in the next few days. Note: the tool does *not* mark up existing
HTML/XML, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to split that part out
into its own tool.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting