From: Joel (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-01 04:47:40

Walter Landry wrote:
> "Eric Niebler" <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>Joel de Guzman and I, with the help of many smart folks on the
>>boost-docs list[*], have been working on improving the look-n-feel of
>>Boost's documentation. We're ready to commit the new style, but wanted
>>to check here first.
>>
>>Volodya was good enough to put up a copy of Boost's docs with the new
>>style applied. You can preview them here:
>>http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/
>>
>>Please say whether you like the new style or not. If not, be specific
>>about why.
>

> Everything is indented, as if I am looking at a piece of paper.
> Indenting some things (like code examples) to make them stand out is
> ok, but don't indent everything. The web is not paper. Indenting
> wastes screen real estate.

That's not indenting. That's a margin. White space is good. Screen
real estate is cheap in this day and age of large color monitors.
A good monitor is just about the same price as a good desk
(or lower). Yet, you don't fill your desk with stuff to the edges
just to save desk "real estate". I think that's called "tidiness".
That said, I think a bit narrower margin is ok. Definitely not the
inch or so margin we typically have on printed paper, yet, IMO,
space on paper should be considered a more precious "real estate".

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com