From: Erik Wien (wien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-18 21:22:55

Hi. I am in the process of planning a library for handling unicode strings
in C++, and would like to probe the interest in the boost community for
something like that. I read through the unicode dicussion that was up back
in april, and from what I could gather there was some amount of interest,
but no one felt comfortable taking on the task as of yet.

I am hoping to be able to run this project as my Bachelor's Thesis in
Computer Engineering (Not sure if that is the correct translation from
Norwegian.) and if it gets approved by my college, myself and two other
programmers will spend one semester working exclusively on this. (of course
in collaboration with the boost community) At the end of that semester I
hope the library (Or at least parts of it) will be in such a state it can
submitted for review by boost.

The library should ultimately have suppport for at least basic handling of
unicode strings (in all encodings), collation of strings and other locale
specific operations. The library should also be (to the extent that is
possible) integrated with the standard C++ library (and boost) to get as
much functionality as possible "for free". I'm here thinking of, among other
things, the std::locale class and compabillity with iostreams. How these
requirements are fulfilled will be determined as the project (hopefully)
moves forward.

I really feel the C++ language needs some form of standardized unicode
support, and developing such a library within the boost community would be a
very good way to ensure it fits everybody's needs the best possible way.

If you have any, and I do mean ANY, thoughts on this, please do not hesitate
to reply to this mail and let me know. I'm looking forward to your

Best regards
Erik Wien - Gjøvik College (Høyskolen i Gjøvik), Norway.