From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-28 12:29:18

Dear boosters,

Finally, have had some time to update the logging lib.
Get it from: http://www.torjo.com/
(of course, it comes packed with docs)

First of all, many thanks to Darryl Green and Caleb Epstein!

Summary
- solved a few bugs
- redesigned so that I allow for scoped logs
   (no more log IDs, now logs are identified by a 'string name')
- ported the code from Caleb
- allow for a "log manager" (many thanks to Darryl Green!)
   (it is not documented yet, but will do so as soon as I have some time)
- updated docs
- (renaming) add_modifier_func -> add_modifier
   (renaming) add_logger_func -> add_appender
- thread-safety update (again, many thanks to Darryl Green!)
- you can log messages even *before* logs are initialized
   after logs are initialized, just call flush_log_cache();

As for scoped logs, to make a long story short, you'll be able to do:
logger gui("app.gui")
if (gui) gui.stream() << "something GUIsh";
// or (equivalent)
BOOOST_SCOPEDLOG(gui) << "something GUIsh";

Still to do:
- docs: write about log managers
- cyclic logs

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all