From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-06 05:09:20

Daryle Walker wrote:

> it to simultaneously be his college thesis.]
>
> Would taking on this project be the best idea for Boost? We wouldn't be
> able to help Erik too much to prevent accusations of cheating.

That's a problem for Erik ;-) Nobody can stop you from suggesting ideas.

> But what
> happens if Erik proceeds too slowly for someone? They can always do their
> own Boost Unicode project, but that may bring up the cheating problem.

Again, it can only be a problem for him. Besides, do you have a specific
"someone" in mind? So far, everybody agrees that Unicode is important but
nobody has the time.

> Basically our Unicode needs will be locked into Erik hands, and neither
> assistance nor competition can occur unless Erik withdraws the project
> from either Boost or his college.

Basically, this depends on requirements for thethis. I really doubt that
thethis will consist of 40-page printout of source. It would have to
discuss approaches, problems, solutions and so on, and that's what would be
interesting in such a thethis. And then email on this list in not worse
that a published article -- a thethis always refers or based on a number of
articles and can use emails in the same way.

- Volodya