From: Rogier van Dalen (rogiervd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-06 06:28:09

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 13:09:20 +0300, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Daryle Walker wrote:

> > it to simultaneously be his college thesis.]
> >
> > Would taking on this project be the best idea for Boost? We wouldn't be
> > able to help Erik too much to prevent accusations of cheating.
>
> That's a problem for Erik ;-) Nobody can stop you from suggesting ideas.

But just judging from the amount of conflicting ideas expressed in the
on; plus, Erik has its own ideas too. Building on and referring to a
publicly available discussion does not have to be a problem for an
academic work, I think.

> > But what
> > happens if Erik proceeds too slowly for someone? They can always do their
> > own Boost Unicode project, but that may bring up the cheating problem.
>
> Again, it can only be a problem for him. Besides, do you have a specific
> "someone" in mind? So far, everybody agrees that Unicode is important but
> nobody has the time.

At the start of the previous thread, I talked about a draft for a
Unicode library I was working on. I'm not sure that's on anybody's
mind, though. :-)
Anyway, I have for now suspended the effort, mainly because I have
come to believe that my initial ideas are not necessarily the best
ones. I'm looking forward to participating in the discussion about
Erik's library though.

> > Basically our Unicode needs will be locked into Erik hands, and neither
> > assistance nor competition can occur unless Erik withdraws the project
> > from either Boost or his college.
>
> Basically, this depends on requirements for thethis. I really doubt that
> thethis will consist of 40-page printout of source. It would have to
> discuss approaches, problems, solutions and so on, and that's what would be
> interesting in such a thethis. And then email on this list in not worse
> that a published article -- a thethis always refers or based on a number of
> articles and can use emails in the same way.

I agree fully.
Furthermore, I think even preliminary designs for a Boost library, and
especially an important one like a Unicode library, should be
discussed on the mailing list. Should Erik's college not allow this, I
think the discussion will have to be done later, possibly resulting on
a total redesign.

Regards,
Rogier