From: Erik Wien (wien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-06 11:43:20

"Rogier van Dalen" <rogiervd_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> Erik has its own ideas too.

I'm not a bot you know! ;) :D

> Building on and referring to a
> publicly available discussion does not have to be a problem for an
> academic work, I think.

Exacly. In fact, most academic work is done that way. You base a discussion
on a known problem, take in all available litterature on the subject, and
draw your own conclusions based on that. Even if this litterature is
different ideas posted by people here, instead of published articles, it's
basically the same thing.

> At the start of the previous thread, I talked about a draft for a
> Unicode library I was working on. I'm not sure that's on anybody's
> mind, though. :-)

Oh, that's right! I meant to ask you for further information about that, but
the thread went in 50 different directions about that time, and it simply
slipped my mind. :\

> Anyway, I have for now suspended the effort, mainly because I have
> come to believe that my initial ideas are not necessarily the best
> ones. I'm looking forward to participating in the discussion about
> Erik's library though.

Great to hear! :) The more people contributing ideas, the better the library
will suit everybody's needs.

> I agree fully.
> Furthermore, I think even preliminary designs for a Boost library, and
> especially an important one like a Unicode library, should be
> discussed on the mailing list. Should Erik's college not allow this, I
> think the discussion will have to be done later, possibly resulting on
> a total redesign.

Yeah.. As I said in another mail, I don't think this will be a problem. It's
in everybody's interest that we have a public discussion on the design and
implementation the library. After all, if this was a commercial project for
a paying customer, you would of course talk to the customer throughout the
development to ensure that all requirements are fulfilled. This project
should be no different.