From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-17 16:51:34

Robert Ramey wrote:

> I understand that boost sandbox is considered successor to the file section.
> I'm not really happy with this. It means that those who want to try
> something out have to get cvs going in thier machine - or download the files
> one by one from the CVS tree.
>
> The yahoo file section ("vault") is ok - but having to register is a pain.
>
> Can't we find a directory withing boost (or maybe the wiki?) to just have
> this very important collection of zipped files?

As I understand it the sandbox is a supplement to the vault not a
replacement. It has the large benefit of being CVS and getting revision
control from it.

Clearly the Yahoo vault needs to get replaced. And I did some search for
a replacement recently. My suggestion would be to set aside some of the
web space of the sandbox to provide our own file vault. The most natural
replacement interface I found for this was:

http://phpatm.kc-it.com/index.html
PHP Advanced Transfer Manager (phpATM)

It is very much like the Yahoo interface. And has the options to remove
the hindrances that the Yahoo interface does not, like the registration.
We could carve out something like 50Meg just for this. That gives people
the area to put things without having SF access. And when something is
closer to a submission they can move to get access to the sandbox.

After that using the SourceForge file release system for submissions
would also be of benefit.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything