From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-23 20:35:45

David Abrahams wrote:

> [...]
> My only real complaint with the page is that the search box is too
> dense. Going to one line labels for the radio buttons would be a big
> help.

I like the latest design very much! I guess I'm not a fan of the
>> icons as much as everyone else, but that may just be me. The
design is very clean and elegant, but I agree that slightly more
contrast for the links could be an improvement. I also agree that
one-liners for the search buttons might be better. Or, to steal
Reece's style, perhaps a drop-down would be more scalable? Also,
I don't like the gray background. When I see a textbox with a gray
background, I think "disabled control". Actually, any color other
than white on the background tells me "something funky about this
textbox". But maybe that's from too much Windoze development.

Also, a minor nit is the difference between "Boost (Developers)"
and "Files (members only)". In the first one, the parenthesized
text is part of the link, and in the second one, it is not. Other
than that, I'd have to say that this is my favorite version so far.
It doesn't look like it's ripping off the WikiNNNN, it loads quickly,
and it looks very professional.

I guess my random comments about the icons are that at first, with
all the logos flying around, I thought they were supposed to be
half-+'s, which is part of why I didn't like them so much. But if
they are supposed to evoke stream operators, I would probably like
them more if they were not quite so fat. Despite all that, good
work!!

Dave