From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-15 09:20:43

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> John Torjo wrote:
>

>>>Does this work for Boost.Build (v2) projects? I would like an IDE that
>>
>>Nope, it does not work with Boost.Build, because its Cross Builder's
>>grammar and concepts are quite different.
>>
>>For instance, you can have per-directory/file settings, which I don't
>>think it's possible for Boost.build.
>

> What do you mean?!

Sorry for being unclear.

What I mean is : in your case (to my understanding), you specify
properties in a jamfile.

But, a jamfile automatically specifies a project. Which means that in
order to specify some properties, you need to automatically create a
project.

For Cross Builder, this is not so. You can specify per-directory
settings, even if that directory is *not part of any project*.
The will simply propagate to their subdirectories/files.

Also, in Cross Builder, there is no project root. Every directory simply
inherits all settings from its parent directories.

Simply imagine this hierarchy:

lib
- examples [1]
    - dialogs
      - example1 [2]
      - example2 [3]
       - ...
    - controls
       - control_example1 [4]
       - control_example2 [5]
       - ...
    - ...
- win32gui
    - sources
    - ...

[1] here, I set the fact that all examples depend on win32gui. This
automatically applies to subdirectories. Also, I set the fact that all
examples are GUIs (user interface), and various other things.

[2],[3],[4],[5] - I mark these as projects. They inherit the fact the
attributes set at [1].

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all