From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-24 03:30:55

Matt Hurd wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:53:54 -0500, christopher diggins
> <cdiggins_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>I realize that there is of course already the boost::spirit library for
>>parsing, but I have recently released another recursive descent parsing
>>library with a substantially different design. The YARD parser requires
>>grammar productions to be defined as meta-functions and does not use
>>operator overloading. The code base is quite a bit smaller, and I personally
>>find the library easier to use than Spirit (of course I am very biased). The
>>home page at http://yard-parser.sf.net/ . Would there be any interest in
>>this of library for Boost? TIA
>

> Chris,
>
> I like Spirit and have a production system that parses a particular
> vendors data packets using it. Works well. My only real complaint
> about Spirit is that it is quite a slow parser. This could be
> improved by having first / follow set kind of things without an
> interface change. Spirit is quite good at representing the LL
> grammars you normal deal with when doing RDP.

FYI, Spirit-2, being developed now, will focus on performance.
A limited test case shows a significant increase in speed. And,
yes, a deterministic parsing scheme (first/follow) is part of the
plan. Actually, you can already take advantage of deterministic
parsing using the current switch_p parsers or a technique we call
the "Nabialek trick". Surely, more deterministic schemes will be
in place.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman