From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-24 11:56:15

Alan Gutierrez wrote:

> Q - 2) Yes.
>
> If the project is to develop a GUI library using modern C++,
> then Boost is the right place. Boost has the community. Boost
> has the knowledge.
>
> Developing a GUI library is a complex undertaking. Startging out
> with a new community slows things down considerably.
>
> Building a community takes time. Establishing mailing lists
> takes time. Setting up a web site takes time. Choosing a name
> takes time.
>
> Upon success of the project, it is likely to need a separate
> umberella, but until then, building a community to support a
> project so complex, to me, is far more daunting than the
> software itself.

I don't know if this is what you're suggesting, but I can't
overemphasize how odious I find the idea of capitalizing on Boost's
ready-made community, knowledge, and mailing lists, only to take the
successful project away later and run it under "a separate umbrella."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting