From: Matt S Trentini (matt_trentini_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-02 19:28:23

Heya Beman,

Beman Dawes wrote:

> I think collaborations can work from the Boost side; I think we've
> proved that with the Spirit, Python, ublas, and similar libraries which
> have both a Boost component and their own resources and activities. I
> don't know anything about the WxWiget folks, but gather from what you
> say that they are at least somewhat interested.

Yes, they do seem mildly interested, though there is some resistance.
I'm also hopeful that a collaboration can work from our side. :)

> I think a prior posting already suggested the same things I want; modern
> C++, including full use of templates, exceptions, and the standard
> library, and use of Boost components where applicable and sensible. And
> the Boost license or something like it.

Yep, that's more-or-less my wishlist too. Anyone else have anything to add?

Threading, memory management of GUI objects and Unicode issues are some
other TBD's.

> Well, I'd hate to see that many efforts running, but I think there is
> room for more than one. Particularly efforts which try distinctly
> different approaches.

Sure. I guess I'm just a little wary because I've started to get
involved with a couple of projects that people lost interest on - mostly
because there were only a couple of core devs and the effort was just
too great. A GUI library is a large undertaking so I'd like to see a
few people involved so that it can maintain momentum.

> What is the URL for the best list for Boosters to join if they are
> interested in a next generation WxWigets?

Subscribe here:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/maillst2.htm#dev

Their mailing rules are here:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/mlhowto.htm