From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-05 14:44:15

Beman Dawes wrote:
> I've spent several hours playing with the Subversion Boost repository
> that Troy Straszheim was kind enough to set up. Here is my initial
> experience:
>
> * The downloads and installation of WxWidgets, Subversion, and
> RapidSVN went smoothly; everything worked right away the first try.
>
> * The initial Boost checkout using RapidSVN worked right away the
> first
> try. However, there doesn't seem to be any RapidSVN documentation, so
> if
> you aren't already familiar with WinCVS or similar, you might have
> more trouble.

TortoiseSVN under Windows is much easier to use than RapidSVN. It integrates
with most any Explorer-like interface ( I am using it with Powerdesk, which
is an Explorer-like file manager with some extra bells-and-whistles).

> ***** Serious Problem ***** The initial checkout seemed to be working
> my
> DSL connection pretty hard, so I started Task Manager and monitored
> "bytes received". By the time the checkout finished, over 800
> megabytes had been received! I tried a completely fresh CVS checkout
> for comparison; the received byte count was 12.5 megabytes. CVS uses
> compression (although you have to remember to turn it on); I couldn't
> find any mention of a
> compression option in the SVN docs, and a search of RapidSVN menus
> didn't turn up any way to turn on compression. We would need to solve
> this problem since 800 megabyte checkouts aren't acceptable for
> dial-up users.

My numbers are 288 MB for SVN and 96 MB for CVS. I have checked out only the
latest Boost directory structure from both. That 3-1 margin is bothersome
but is not the margin you reported. Is it possible that your numbers do not
take into account the same files being checked out by each ?