From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-06 11:56:03

"David B. Held" <dheld_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Martin Slater wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Can anyone comment on whether the branching has got better in svn?
>> In particular (Quoting from
>> http://www.gamesfromwithin.com/articles/0407/000026.html)
>
> I don't think it's changed.
>
>> <quote>
>> Here's the real killer blow for me: Subversion doesn't keep track of
>> what merges have been applied to a file. That's up to you to keep
>> track of somehow. That means that for every file (or set of files),
>> you have to know up to what revision they've been integrated, and
>> only pull in the changes from that revision on.
>> </quote>
>> This appears to be very limiting if you rely heavily on branching.
>
> The SVN book, if I recall correctly, does mention this case. Their
> solution is to always comment merge transactions so that you can look
> at the history and identify them. Whether that is impractical for
> Boost or not, I can't say.

There's a script called svnmerge that handles this, if you just agree
to use that instead of svn's built-in merging. The SVN people appear
to be unwilling to implement smart merging directly in SVN until they
can do it perfectly.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.user/22053

--
Dave Abrahams