From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-08 01:59:57

Victor A. Wagner Jr. writes:
> If you'd looked at the meta-comm regression page any time since
> Friday morning (see the paste below) you would have seen that
> nothing was changing. That's what "non-responsive" means.
> .............OR.......... if you'd been reading the boost-testing
> echo, you would have noticed that I commented that the regression
> results weren't being updated (so did Rene)....nada/zip/zilch for
> response

Nobody besides yourself can guarantee you fast response time all the
time. People get busy and have obligations outside of Boost. Two main
problems with the current state of affairs are that:

a) There is a limited number of people knowledgeable enough to fix
   the issues with regression reporting effectively, and

b) The machine that is running the reports is only accessible to us
   (Meta), which makes it impossible for another Boost developer to
   step in and fix things on the occasion when we are swamped
   (SourceForge is not an answer to this one, in particular because
   the sheer amount of processed data is overwhelming for their
   machines).

Until these are resolved, an occasional delay in getting things to
work again after an unexpected breakage is inevitable.

Having said that, we are trying our best to be responsive within a
reasonable time frame even when everybody here is busy.

Fixed now, http://tinyurl.com/3ppqs.

> I further note that there are some "white spaces" the regression
> results show for me.

Sparse "white spaces" in Python are pending a fix to bjam
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.build/6582),
property_map one needs to be looked at, and others look normal to
me. Python tests issue aside, none of them indicate loss of a valuable
information.

> IF we're going to have automated testing, then someone _else_ has to
> do something so that _all_ of the results show up. My tests are run
> using "scheduled tasks" on a windows XPpro system, every 6 hours
> under their own logon (clicking on the RudbekAssociates link will
> tell you more than you want to know). I've done everything I can
> think of thus far to make them completely automatic, which is the
> _only_ rational way to run regression tests. As soon as you
> _require_ manual intervention you run the risk (probability 1) that
> your results will be inaccurate.

Agreed 100%.

> Sooooooo
> Let's get the regression test system up to snuff.
> Let's make it completely "hands off" for the persons volunteering
> their (personal & computer) time to run the tests.
> in other words: Let's get it right

Ditto.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy