From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-02 20:36:21

In article <424ECCC4.1090704_at_[hidden]>,
 Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> * IMO Links in the body don't look good. (I mean dash underlining).
> >
> > I agree with this. If you want a de-emphasized indicator some kind of
> > pale solid underline would work. I suppose the dashes are supposed to
> > work with any background color the user chooses? Even a dotted
> > (alternating pixels) line would be better.
>
> I actually agree.. My first attempt was to use the "dotted" underlines
> and the do look much better than the "dashed". But that brings up
> another unfortunate browser issue: IE doesn't support the "dotted"
> borders and displays "dashed" borders instead.
>
> Guess I'll have to try and draw my own borders for this :-\ -- Or just
> make IE users suffer the less pleasing look.

Several browsers use non-solid underline as the default appearance of elements
which display a pop-up clarification on mouseover. See
<http://tribblescape.com/archives/20030228_html_acronym_tagging.php> for an
example. For this reason, I would be extremely hesitant to use non-solid
underlines for links.

meeroh