From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-04 07:57:30

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:35:45 -0400, Miro Jurisic wrote
> In article <20050404045007.M6858_at_[hidden]>,
> "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > I favor user control over publisher control.
>
> This can be designed so that you can use a custom style sheet to override.

Sure, that's alot more work then just using the resize control on my browser.

> > ps: In case you can't tell this one is a pet peeve of mine -- I really, really
> > dislike fixed width sites. Let's not make Boost one of them.
>
> I don't think that "this is a pet peeve of mine" is a valid
> argument.

It isn't an argument -- it's a statement of passion.

> You are basically saying that we should sacrifice
> readability for the majority of users who will come to the site and
> not even be aware of the fact that the reason that the web site is
> hard to read is that their window is wide. I don't think that's the
> right tradeoff here.

The assertion that the site is hard to read for the 'majority of users' really
isn't backed up by any facts. You're assumming everyone has a wide display,
small font sizes, etc. Not everyone does. I say the site is perferctly
readable and that a non-fixed design allows users easy control the parameters.
  I guess we'll have to do a survey...

Jeff