From: Jason Earl (Jason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-04 08:19:43

Coming from a web design / web programming background (PHP), if there
is anything i can do towards the design / interface / back-end, I would
would be happy to put some time into site if there is anything I can
do.

There are pro's and cons with fixed width design. Fixed width can make
things a lot more readable as you don't have excessively long lines to
read on computers with hi-res screens. A lot of people do find this is
true. On the other hand for a site involving a lot of code snippets,
you will have a lot of <code> and / or <pre> blocks that have code that
need to be non wrap-able and monospace fonts, so liquid layouts are a
bonus there, as these code snippets can often break a fixed width
design.

Using CSS / XHTML it is possible to allow the user have choice over
fixed / liquid / elastic layouts (This way the user can have the choice
what layout they want), and I have experimented with this personally. I
would be happy to contribute my skills in this direction. I have decent
design skiils and could probably come up something design wise a little
more interesting without going too OTT (nothing worst than sites that
have that nasty generic / busy Postnuke / Tikiwiki feel to them).

Anyway thats just a bit of food for thought.

Jason