From: Iain Hanson (Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-05 08:25:44

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 05:12 -0700, Jeff Garland wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:36:13 -0500, Rene Rivera wrote

[snip]

> > That is an argument which does not apply to my design. I do not
> > assume any particular pixel size! I only assume that 10 to 12 words
> > per line is the most pleasing line length. That is what centuries of
> > research and experimentation have shown.
>
> Well sorry, but I believe it does. Granted you don't assume a pixel size, but
> the layout is clearly frozen. The whole context of Nielson's advice isn't on
> that page. No matter what "I" would like to do in terms of line length,
> scrolling, etc I can't do it. You've decided the best size for me and I have
> to adjust to it whether I like it or not...well, obviously I don't like it ;-)
>
> Jeff

I whole heartedly agree with Jeff. It is not an issue of good layout or
optimal HCI Design but about user choice. If I choose to have a tall
thin browser window because I want most of my screen real estate devoted
to an IDE that is *my* choice. But I don't want authors to dictate that
I have to scroll or have their fixed width on my browser window.

BTW the current boost home page also has a fixed minimum width which
IMHO is wrong.

/ikh