From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-05 08:45:30

Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

> This line of argument is getting a little silly but...
>
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>> I was just using myself as an example and stating my preference. I didn't
>> really want to start a research war here, but if you want to go that way see:
>> Designing Web Usability, Jakob Nielson p 174. Key quotes under the topic How
>> Wide Should the Page Be: "you shouldn't design for any standard width...Users
>> who have large screens should be allowed to benefit from their
>> investment".
>
> Benefits come in different forms. As Dave pointed out having a "larger"
> monitor has the benefit of allowing you to place multiple narrower
> windows side by side. Which is something I do as I have large, 20in and
> 21in 1600x1200 dual monitors. So I don't see how the current constrained
> design prevents you from getting benefit.

I did point that out, but FWIW, I agree with those who say the page
should respect the size they choose to make their browsers.
Eliminating that choice just doesn't make any sense to me.

What about using multiple columns like useit.com does? That would
mitigate line length issues (at least until we start trying to use
handhelds to browse Boost.org)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting