From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-10 10:40:26

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:23:02 -0400, David Abrahams wrote
> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > OK I've done more changes/improvements. It's now a fluid layout. Since
> > no one except Dave had suggestions on what to I went with his idea of
> > two (mostly equal) columns. In this case the left is fluid the right is
> > fixed.
> >
> > I also removed everything except the latest release information. For the
> > simple reason that more than that make the page unnecessarily long.
> > After all anything older than the latest version isn't "Latest News".

Good idea, although I think we should maintain a release_history page so we
can get back to the release summaries. Every so often I've found it handy to
refer to a release or so back. Also I think the history helps new people see
that boost isn't some 'flash-in-the-pan' open source project.

> > http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/index.htm
>
> It's very unusual, but I _think_ I like it overall. I think the
> right column could use some reorganization; the groupings don't feel
> very natural to me. But I can't come up with a better suggestion
> right now ;-)

Overall I like it as well, although I'm not certain we are all seeing the same
thing ;-) I tried this in a few different Linux browsers at different widths
and got 'interesting' results. Rather than trying to explain what I'm seeing
I took a couple snapshots and put them up on the Wiki:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?FrontPage_Design

So is the right hand pane supposed to be 'double wide' or single wide? Also on
the mozilla based browsers when the window is wide the search/contribute boxes
get obscurred.

BTW, thanks for working on this -- in case I haven't already said it.

Jeff