From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-10 10:51:30

Mark Blewett wrote:
> At 10:23 10/04/2005, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> > http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/index.htm
>>
>> It's very unusual, but I _think_ I like it overall. I think the right
>> column could use some reorganization; the groupings don't feel very
>> natural to me. But I can't come up with a better suggestion right now
>> ;-)
>
> I like it too.

Thank you all :-)

> I think is slightly unusual (in web design) to have the links on the
> right hand side, but to me it actually makes reading the content (the
> text on the left) more natural and book like.
>
> A few minor (and possibly subjective) thoughts;
>
> 1) To me it seems a bit strange having the revised / copyright / license
> / icons bit halfway down the page on the right hand side. I think it
> would maybe better at the bottom of the page.

If by at the bottom you mean below both columns.. It's possible but it
would require some different styling possibly throwing off the L&F. If
you mean keeping it on the right column but at the bottom.. It's not
really possible (well at least not possible without using a slew of tables).

> 2) In the Updated Libraries section, maybe it would be better for the
> library name to occupy a line on its own? i.e.
>
> Graph Library:
> Introduced several new algorithms and improved existing
> algorithms:
> +
> <http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/libs/graph/doc/floyd_warshall_shortest.html>floyd
> warshall all pairs shortest paths, from Lauren Foutz and Scott Hill.
> +etc
>
> To me it makes it easier to scan the list to find the library you are
> looking for.

OK, I'll see what I can do to increase the visibility of the library names.

> 3) Finally (I'm not sure about this idea.. but would be interested to
> see whether it is an improvement or not).
>
> Viewing with a browser width of about 800px (half my desktop width).. at
> the bottom of the page the text of the left has 5 or 6 words per line..
> but there is unused space on the right of the page.
>
> Would it be possible to allow the text on the left to flow across to the
> right side of the page if there is space available?

It's possible, but it would jumble the document structure in such a way
as to make it painful for alternate viewers. Currently the structure is:
( (section-text sidebar) (section-text sidebar) (section-text sidebar)
). That allows people using lynx (http://tinyurl.com/6zcl6)[1], blind
screen audio readers, and other handicapped users to still read the
page. To implement the suggestion I would have to change the doc
structure to: ( (sidebar section-text) (sidebar section-text) (sidebar
section-text) ). Clearly not a desirable arrangement.

[1]
http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fredshift-software.com%2F%7Egrafik%2Fboost%2Findex.htm

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything