From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-15 12:45:27

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Viernes, Abril 15, 2005 6:05 pm
Asunto: [boost] Re: Boost to the rescue

> I'm amazed to discover that in only ONE single case have any of the
> programmers, managers, etc ever even heard of boost. This group even
> includes an ex head of the computer science department at a top tier
> university !!!

Speaking of which, I've got the nasty feeling that
a good portion of the C++ programming community have
heard of Boost but don't use it because:

1. It's too big.
2. It's too hard to install.
3. The docs are too technical.
4. They fear it's too "advanced" for them to understand it.

I've actually read comments on programmer sites touching on
every one of these issues. My opinion is that:

* #1 is not that much of an issue in a world where
people are happy to install a multimegabyte IDE and
don't complain about it. When it comes to installing
a library, somehow they measure size by a different
standard.
* #2 is certainly a point, specially for Windows folks
used to doubleclick on everything. Maybe it'd be a good
idea to produce some graphical wizards (not necessarily
as an official part of Boost) that automate the
installation for at least the most commonly used
platforms (read MS.) IMHO this would lower
the entry barrier a lot.
* As for #3 and #4, I've got this idea round my head
that Boost would benefit of a "community site" where
people of various expertise levels could mingle
together, post Boost-related articles, etc. Something
like CodeProject or Gamedev, which have a less
intimidating appearance than www.boost.org. Some months
ago I asked for a Boost-related forum in CodeProject,
to no avail :(

Well, just some random ideas.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo