From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-16 04:46:43

 Speaking of which, I've got the nasty feeling that
| a good portion of the C++ programming community have
| heard of Boost but don't use it because:
|
| 1. It's too big.
| 2. It's too hard to install.
| 3. The docs are too technical.
| 4. They fear it's too "advanced" for them to understand it.

I have also heard several comments like this too.

I would suggest that the documentation should stress that
most of the Boost code is header only, and that one only
need to add the location of the unpacked code to the include path
to get access to tons of really useful stuff.

Grappling with new tools, like bjam
(useful and essential as they may be)
is a real turn off.

We need to get people started.

Only when they are hooked will they be prepared to invest
in the effort to build the invaluable regex and the like.

And documentation MUST have TONS of EXAMPLES.
This is where most people start.
Without examples, they never start.

Paul

Paul A Bristow