From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-27 16:09:56

"Paul A Bristow" <pbristow_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [...]

I'm not sure we should make too much of that. I don't know how long
that will remain the case, and anyway it may not matter to the person
who's really interested in Boost.Python or Serialization or Threads,
or Regex, or...

> and that one only need to add the location of the unpacked code to
> the include path to get access to tons of really useful stuff.

Well, as long as you put it that way, maybe there's something to it.

> Grappling with new tools, like bjam
> (useful and essential as they may be)
> is a real turn off.

Yeah, well we need to make that easier and more accessible.

> We need to get people started.

Yep.

> Only when they are hooked will they be prepared to invest
> in the effort to build the invaluable regex and the like.

Yep.

> And documentation MUST have TONS of EXAMPLES.

Yep.

> This is where most people start.
> Without examples, they never start.

Someone at ACCU suggested that we have a "libraries overview page"
that contains a short introduction and a mini-tutorial example for
each of the libraries. I think it's a great idea and would vastly
increase accessibility of the libraries.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting