From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-24 13:14:07

Boris wrote:
> Giovanni P. Deretta wrote:
>
>>[...] I've have seen that the current consens is to encode the the stream
>> type in the address, so to allow a dynamic behaviour: the actual
>>transport is selected only at runtime, based on the address string. I
>>think
>

> Michel Andre asked a similar question about template based or
> inheritance/interface based approach (see
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/121983 and scroll down)
> and got only one answer (that was mine). I don't see much of a consensus but
> lots of ideas. There is no general consensus so far about the package
> structure of the whole network library. So there can't be any consensus
> about how different packages look inside. So let us do this step first
> before we do the second please.

Even if we go for a interface/inheritance based approach is would like
to expose tcp_stream/tcp_connector/tcp_acceptor/udp_stream et al and the
like so the user could instantiate a concrete implementation and not
going through the address, dynamic factory thingy. There might be
specifics in these classes that you care for if you only support tcp eg.

/Michel