From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-28 04:07:19

----Original Message----
From: Rene Rivera [mailto:grafik.list_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 28 April 2005 03:37
To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: [website] Oh the fun..

> Eelis van der Weegen wrote:
>> I think this layout makes unreasonable assumptions about the browser
>
> Unreasonable for whom?
>
>> window width, and looks terrible when viewed in a slightly less wide
>> browser window.
>>
>> Here's an example screenshot: http://www.xs4all.nl/~weegen/ss.png
>>
>> Note that this does not just affect people who use 800x600 or smaller
>> resolutions.
>
> 1. That screenshot is less than 800 pixels wide.
So? Eelis explained WHY he uses less than 800 pixels for his browser.

> 2. I think just about all web designers agree that 800x600 is the
> minimum one should design for at this time.
Hmm. How about all (boost) USERS?

>> As for the links, I agree with Victor; changing link formatting is
>> yet another symptom of overly eager webdesigners' trying to control
>> every last pixel on the screen because their precious design
>> "depends" on it, while breaking usability for users who use a less
>> common configuration.
>
> As I said in the other post.. It's not. It's just not a possibility to
> accommodate user level settings without also abandoning design almost
> completely. The best we can hope for is to design in enough
> flexibility to make the majority of users happy.

So why do you need to specify the background colour? I haven't looked at
the source, but it looks white on my machine which is the default for my
browser. If you don't specify the background colour or the font colour,
then the link colour will match nicely.

>> The website should just provide structured content and leave it up to
>> the user's browser and preferences to do the final formatting.
>
> That's a nice dream.. And with the current arrangement you can attain
> it. The current design is entirely CSS based. Which means that you
> can turn it off, or use your own design. -- Of course that's assuming
> your browser will let you.

It's a lot of work to define a new CSS for boost - why not just use the
user's defaults?

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]