From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-28 10:28:15

Martin Bonner wrote:
> ----Original Message----
> From: Rene Rivera [mailto:grafik.list_at_[hidden]]
> Sent: 28 April 2005 03:37
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Re: [website] Oh the fun..

Please change your posting program so that it doesn't include this
superfluous information.

>>2. I think just about all web designers agree that 800x600 is the
>>minimum one should design for at this time.
>
> Hmm. How about all (boost) USERS?

You should already know that it's impossible to satisfy all users. And
the various *_ptr discussions should serve as an example. In C++ the way
to satisfy the widest audience is to use template. In HTML we use CSS to
serve a similar purpose.

> So why do you need to specify the background colour? I haven't looked at
> the source, but it looks white on my machine which is the default for my
> browser.

What makes you assume that everyone has a default background color of
white? I certainly don't assume that, nor have my default as white.

> If you don't specify the background colour or the font colour,
> then the link colour will match nicely.

Like I already said..

>>> It's just not a possibility to accommodate user level settings
without also abandoning design almost completely.

What you are saying is to abandon design and leave it entirely to the
browser defaults and user settings. And please don't assume that the
browser developers made perfect, or even good, choices about how to
present a web page.

>>Which means that you
>>can turn it off, or use your own design.

> It's a lot of work to define a new CSS for boost - why not just use the
> user's defaults?

Like I just said above.. You can turn the CSS *off* and have your
browser+user settings prevail. For example with Firefox you can choose
the View/Page Style/No Style menu and voila you have your defaults. I
leave other browsers as an exercise to the reader.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything