From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-03 07:29:16

Beman Dawes wrote:
> I've completed an analysis of expectations for the exists() and
> is_xxx() family of functions, and the previously suggested status()
> and symlink_status() functions.
>
> See http://www.esva.net/~beman/filesystem_operations_predicates.htm
>
> Thanks to Peter Dimov, Rob Stewart, and Jeff Garland for their
> suggestions. Errors are mine alone.
>
> Comments?

One quick comment about status(). I don't like the fact that the user
effectively has to read a global variable to obtain the error code. I'd
prefer something along the lines of

    status_flag status( path const & p, int * error = 0 );

or packing the error code in the return value.

I also don't like the fact that the error codes aren't the standard errno E*
constants, but we already had this debate once. :-) (As with threading, it
is my opinion that Posix should be acknowledged.)