From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-04 10:18:46

Iain K. Hanson wrote:
> I agree that it is time to re-visit these issues and they are going to
> apply to more than just the Filesystem library. I don't believe The E*
> names are portable to non-posix systems which includes ( at least part
> of ) Windows.

Strictly speaking, E* isn't directly portable to anything. Every system
provides a mapping from its native error codes to E*. This is exactly what
the filesystem library does at the moment, except that it maps to its own
set.

(The GetLastError to E* mapping that the MSVC runtime does is in
crt/src/dosmap.c, but it looks like it can be improved.)

I don't see a reason for us to reinvent the wheel yet again when the work of
coming up with a portable set of error codes is already done (by a standard
committee, no less).