From: Iain K. Hanson (iain.hanson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-04 11:19:55

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 18:18 +0300, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Iain K. Hanson wrote:
> > I agree that it is time to re-visit these issues and they are going to
> > apply to more than just the Filesystem library. I don't believe The E*
> > names are portable to non-posix systems which includes ( at least part
> > of ) Windows.
>
> Strictly speaking, E* isn't directly portable to anything. Every system
> provides a mapping from its native error codes to E*. This is exactly what
> the filesystem library does at the moment, except that it maps to its own
> set.
>
> (The GetLastError to E* mapping that the MSVC runtime does is in
> crt/src/dosmap.c, but it looks like it can be improved.)

Does that work in the Win SDK and not just with console apps with the
POSIX sub-system?

Also Windows is not the only Non- POSIX O/S. What about VMS, MVS ,
VM/CMS, and DOS/VSE ( if it is still around ).

> I don't see a reason for us to reinvent the wheel yet again when the work of
> coming up with a portable set of error codes is already done (by a standard
> committee, no less).

:-) not what I was after, at least not for the sake of it. However, I do
find some / many of the E* names a little cryptic.

/ikh

This email has been scanned for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Email
Security System.