From: Iain K. Hanson (ikh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-04 19:28:49

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 06:18:46PM +0300, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Iain K. Hanson wrote:
> > I agree that it is time to re-visit these issues and they are going to
> > apply to more than just the Filesystem library. I don't believe The E*
> > names are portable to non-posix systems which includes ( at least part
> > of ) Windows.
>
> Strictly speaking, E* isn't directly portable to anything. Every system
> provides a mapping from its native error codes to E*. This is exactly what
> the filesystem library does at the moment, except that it maps to its own
> set.
>
> (The GetLastError to E* mapping that the MSVC runtime does is in
> crt/src/dosmap.c, but it looks like it can be improved.)
>
> I don't see a reason for us to reinvent the wheel yet again when the work of
> coming up with a portable set of error codes is already done (by a standard
> committee, no less).

I missed this the 1st time round but POSIX does not define a set of error
codes but just a set of names. That are not portable because not everyone has
 bought into POSIX.

I'd rather have a consistant set of *readable* C++ names forn all C++ platforms
defined by the C++ standards committee that could be mapped to POSIX of Native
error names.

/ikh