From: Dan Rosen (dan.rosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-13 13:32:46

Jason,

I think my primary point may have gotten lost in the length of my
original post. I want to emphasize that I think you need to focus on
the concepts (in the STL sense of the word). At a minimum, I'd like to
see a relatively complete description of the semantics for each method
in every interface. I'm sure you've seen this already, but the SGI
docs:

  http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl

are a good example of what I'm looking for. For a more granularly
policy-ized example (akin to Singleton), the Boost Threads docs are
also a decent style guide, I think. If you can articulate the concepts
you're representing clearly, I think the process of solidifying the
library for submission will be much more straightforward and smoother
for you.

Also, regarding your direct question about the usefulness of Singleton
in its present state: for me, the question is "would I download this
regardless of whether or not it was in Boost?" I believe it is
presently useful, but not as useful as it could be if you got the
concepts solid (and, since the interfaces are changing, not yet stable
enough either). In my mind, multiton is the primary example of this.
If you had that solid, I'd definitely see myself downloading and using
Singleton regardless of its acceptance into Boost.

Best,
dr