From: Daniel Frey (d.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-20 13:51:24

John Torjo wrote:
> Daniel Frey wrote:
>
>> John Torjo wrote:
>>
>>> I've just updated the Boost Log Library:
>>> http://torjo.com/code/logging-v132.zip
>>

>> It's good to see progress on logging and what I've seen so far looks
>> promising. However...
>>
>>> BOOST_LOG(app) << "testing " << i << '-' << j << '-' << k << std::endl;
>>> BOOST_LOG(dbg) << "this is a debug message, i=" << i << std::endl;
>>> BOOST_LOG(info) << "I just wanted to tell you something....";
>>

>> ...while I like the feeling of the stream approach from a user's
>> perspective, there is one (IMHO important) feature that can not be
>> implemented with it: Exception guards.
>>
> When there's a will, there's a way ;)
>
> You do raise a very valid point -- about exceptions. I will add
> exception guards.

Looking at the latest version (-v133.zip), I neither found them in the
code nor on the ToDo-list. And I can't imagine how you could be able to
add them with the current design, but I might be missing something. Care
to share your ideas how to do it even in case the technique probably
won't make it into your library? I'm just curious to learn a new trick :))

Another point: IIRC, some month ago we talked about the logging library
in an earlier version. I proposed to allow

  if( app ) { ... }

instead of

  if( BOOST_IS_LOG_ENABLED(app) ) { ... }

and you agreed it makes sense. AFAIR it appeared to be very easy, but
the library evolved since then. Is it still possible in the current library?

Regards, Daniel