From: Robert Mathews (rmathews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 08:34:27

I'm glad to see this thread starting, I definitely think this is a good
idea.

> "Pablo Aguilar" <pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > I believe that detecting which libraries need building would just be a
> > matter of searching for a "build" subdirectory within a given library's
> > directory.
>
> Yep.
>
> > Don't know about configurations, though, maybe some simple
> > parsing of the jamfiles would do..
>
> Don't try to parse Jamfiles. It will be fragile at best and a
> disaster at worst. Think of Jamfile contents like C++ source code;
> you want a real C++ compiler in order to process that and make any
> sense of it. For Jamfiles you want to do any understanding within
> Boost.Build.

As far as JAM interacting with the installer program, why don't you have
boost.JAM build the installation program? That way this installer isn't a
red-haired bastard stepchild, but just another target in the Boost.build
environment. Boost.build is certainly powerful enough!

Basically, I'd add a target after "install" that could grab the source and
built libraries and feed those files into the installer script, creating a
single installer output file (say, "boost_1.32.msi"). Then the boost
maintainers could publish just that file on the web.

> > The reason I chose not to do it as an installer, is because I'm far
> > more comfortable with developing GUIs with say, BCB, than I am with
> > the installer programs I've tried.

Well .. the commercial installers take care of a lot of common issues that
occur, adding a layer of reliability and tested code for the common tasks of
installing files, editing paths, registry, and displaying a familar user
interface. Are you really sure you'd want to stray off the beaten path here?