From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 14:10:34

"Robert Mathews" <rmathews_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> I'm glad to see this thread starting, I definitely think this is a good
> idea.

[snip]

> As far as JAM interacting with the installer program, why don't you have
> boost.JAM build the installation program? That way this installer isn't a
> red-haired bastard stepchild, but just another target in the Boost.build
> environment. Boost.build is certainly powerful enough!

I'm somewhat confused here, isn't building what we're trying to simplify
with this installer?

> Basically, I'd add a target after "install" that could grab the source and
> built libraries and feed those files into the installer script, creating a
> single installer output file (say, "boost_1.32.msi"). Then the boost
> maintainers could publish just that file on the web.

While I think that writing .msi files isn't trivial, I think it's worth
considering before going any further.. I'll take a look once more at
installer programs available.

>> > The reason I chose not to do it as an installer, is because I'm far
>> > more comfortable with developing GUIs with say, BCB, than I am with
>> > the installer programs I've tried.
>
> Well .. the commercial installers take care of a lot of common issues that
> occur, adding a layer of reliability and tested code for the common tasks
> of
> installing files, editing paths, registry, and displaying a familar user
> interface. Are you really sure you'd want to stray off the beaten path
> here?

Well, like I said in my reply to David Abrahams, I didn't quite intend
something as an installer, but rather a configuring utility. Very much along
the lines of what Reece Dunn posted on the other thread, namely
autodetecting available compilers, allowing on-demand building of libraries
with varying configurations, and registering/unregistering the include and
library paths for each of the target IDEs.

I strongly urge you to look at the utility for Win32GUI, as it represents a
special-case version of what I had in mind.

Do you think an installer (as opposed to a tool like I describe) would be
the best way to go? If so, and many others believe it that way, I'll
redirect my effort into something like that.

[snip]

Pablo Aguilar