From: Pablo Aguilar (pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-26 14:01:18

Yesterday, when I decided to start this, I went and downloaded John Torjo's
Win32GUI library (www.torjo.com), and noticed that the build utility
packaged with it, is very similar to what I originally had in mind.

Like I said, I didn't conceive it as an installer, but rather as a tool to
build and setup directories, all this while assuming the user would be
willing to download and extract boost on his own.

> "Pablo Aguilar" <pablo.aguilar_at_[hidden]> writes:

[snip]

>> Don't know about configurations, though, maybe some simple
>> parsing of the jamfiles would do..
>
> Don't try to parse Jamfiles. It will be fragile at best and a
> disaster at worst. Think of Jamfile contents like C++ source code;
> you want a real C++ compiler in order to process that and make any
> sense of it. For Jamfiles you want to do any understanding within
> Boost.Build.

Ok, I won't argue, as not parsing them would make my life a whole lot
easier. I do suggest you take a look at John Torjo's utility though, if I
got it correctly, it doesn't parse the .jam files but rather just adds the
requested threading/linkage/debug options to the bjam command line.

>> The reason I chose not to do it as an installer, is because I'm far
>> more comfortable with developing GUIs with say, BCB, than I am with
>> the installer programs I've tried.
>>
>> Comments, suggestions, requests are welcome.
>
> Making Boost easier to install is crucial. I suggest that parties
> interested in contributing in some way take the thread to the jamboost
> list.
>
> http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#jamboost
>
> If people prefer we could establish a separate list, but I fear there
> might be a great deal of overlap.
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> Boost Consulting